We’re currently hiring designers to lay out digital and print collateral, design presentations, and create illustrations. Submitting the project below will highlight the skills we look for in a great candidate. Sure, it takes a little more effort than a typical job application, but you’ll grab our attention and stand out from hundreds of applicants.
If you like this type of work, you’d probably like working at SAM-Lab.
Here’s the project!
Choose a news article or wikipedia topic and create a 5-8 slide presentation to explain it to us. Also, choose a company whose branding you admire. Brand the presentation as if it were done as a piece for them (adapt to their visual style and color palette).
Please be sure that your presentation includes:
- one slide with icons that you have illustrated yourself
- one slide that represents data relating to the article (can be chart or infographic style)
- demonstrate your animation skills using PowerPoint's built-in tools
Feel free to incorporate any other elements you like— photography, animation, video, etc. Only Powerpoint and Keynote files will be accepted, though using other tools can be used to create the assets in the presentation (i.e, illustrator for icon creation).
Please also include one slide at the end of your presentation with:
- a link to the original article or wikipedia page for reference
- a short description of the brand you chose to work with, and what elements of their design influenced your own design work
- a link to, or copy of your resume and portfolio
Having trouble getting started? Try creating a presentation about one of these topics:
What we are looking for:
- We’ll reach out to you if you send us a project that showcases great design skills and visual information. We’re looking for a candidate who understands that presentation design is as important as any other graphic design medium—we’re expecting to see thoughtful use of imagery, translation of information, and intentional typography.
- Please submit your presentation to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please keep attachments under 10MB, or submit your file with a shared link
- Only PowerPoint or Keynote files will be accepted
- Please only use Microsoft or macOS standard fonts to avoid viewing issues
Candidates will only be contacted to review this sample assignment if an interview is to be scheduled. Initial responses are typically sent within a week of application. While this assignment not an application requirement, it will grab our attention and demonstrate your ability to perform this job!
We look forward to seeing your work!!